Browsing articles in "Community"

L.A. / Las Vegas Burning Man Regionals Calling for Artists!

Singularity
2nd Annual Desert Arts Festival
Las Vegas / Los Angeles Burning Man Regional Event

Roach Dry Lake : Primm, Nevada : May 17 – 20

CALLING ALL ARTISTS!!!

Yes, it’s time for the art wrangling to begin!

Dark Skies ??? The Singularity Event is taking place near Prim Nevada on Roach Lake May 17-20. This is the second annual South West Regional Burning Man event jointly organized by two regional teams in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. This year is shaping up to be spectacular, but we need your participation for it to be all that it can be!

This year, in addition to mutant vehicles, art sculptures and large scale installations, we are also featuring a real gallery-style fine art and photography show inside an amazing structure called “Innermind”, by Gary Stadler. Some of you may remember the beautiful 85′ x 40′ conical structure from Burning Man a couple of years ago – it has a beacon of light that shoots out of the top, and is a very impressive art piece all on its own.

Inner Mind: Art installation at Burning Man

This year it will function as the center camp, and will house white flats upon which we will hang artwork from both regions, as well as smaller sculptures and installations.

As our hanging space inside is somewhat limited, the space will be curated, and regrettably not every submission can be hung (but there is room for plenty !)

We are asking for jpegs and sizes of all art submissions to be sent to:

…where they will be reviewed and coordinated by myself and other team members. (Since I also have a gallery I run downtown, I am always looking for new art anyway – so please send me your info!) Decisions regarding content will not be made until the first of May, when we know the actual sq. footage of interior space and see the quantity of art work submitted.

This year, in order to facilitate the many sculptural artists living here, we will have transportation for larger pieces leaving from LA . We are hopeful that this will allow many more of you wonderful LA artists to be represented out on the near-playa .

If requesting transport of large installations, please include:

• size,
  • weight
  • any special info necessary for us to assist you in your art’s appearance at the event.

Let’s show LV what we can do (again..!)
Any questions, please write me – I am daleydale, and I am here to serve !

“F.o.R.” (Friends of Richie) Benefit

Richie Hass is an amazing multi-instrumentalist musician.

Alumnus of Zoogz Rift’s band, he is best known these days for playing in Saccharine Trust and also with Joe Baiza’s universal congress – probably the top vibraphonist in southern California.

Richie was recently diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow, and since he is a self employed musician, he has no health insurance.

The L.A. music community was rocked back on their heels by this news. Everybody loves Richie. So we musicians, together with the IMF, are putting together a benefit in Richie’s honor. And while the benefit is being held in Richie’s honor, he has opted to donate the proceeds to the international Myeloma Foundation for much-needed research to find the cure for this disease.

Friends of Richie benefit

The F.o.R. Benefit (Friends of Richie) is taking place at:

• Safari Sam’s in Hollywood
  • on Saturday March 31st
  • starting around 4:00 pm in the afternoon
  • and going all night

A few of the many bands that are scheduled to play are:

Schedule:

• 4:00-4:20 Potion Box
  • 4:30-4:50 Present Tense
  • 5:00-5:20 Freda Rente’ Band
  • 5:30-5:50 The Adz
  • 6:00-6:20 Backbiter
  • 6:30-6:50 The Amadans
  • 7:00-7:20 Freehead
  • 7:30-7:50 Vinny Golia
  • 8:00-8:40 The Bellrays
  • 8:50-9:30 Mike Watt + The Missingmen
  • 9:40-10:00 Marc Mylar Mob
  • 10:10-10:30 Puttanesca
  • 10:40-11:00 Saccharine Trust
  • 11:10-11:30 Not in the House
  • 11:40-12:00 The Atomic Sherpas
  • 12:10-12:30 Fatso Jetson

Also featuring:

• Jaz Kaner, MC
  • Marcel’s Cinnamon Roll Gang Puppet Show
  • Brick Wahl will be the stage manager

$10 cover charge.

march 31, 2007

• Safari Sam’s
  • 5214 W. Sunset Blvd.
  • Hollywood, CA 90027
  • (323) 666-7267

Everyone is welcome to this celebration. Come and join us. Have a good time for a good cause.

For any questions or information email:

Please consider making a donation

International Myeloma Foundation

Fire Breathing World Record Set at Burning Man 2006

Fire, Art, Ambition, and Success!

Last year, a group of 82 fire artists gathered at Black Rock City during the Burning Man festival with the intention of setting a world record. After what must have felt like a very long wait, they have finally received word from the Guinness Book of World Records that they had achieved their goal!

Organized by local Los Angeles fire artist and super freak Tedward (pictured below on one knee in center of photo) the group gathered and breathed a collective breath of big fire into the crisp night sky of the lovely northern Nevada desert… It was a beautiful sight. A unique function of community. More please!

Ocean of Fire

Excerpt from “Ocean of Fire” organizer Tedward:

31 August 2006, just outside Thunderdome, shortly after dusk:

82 firebreathers gathered together with the intent of breaking the existing record of 70 firebreathers all engaged in a single act of fire breathing.

They spent 6 months gathering evidence: video footage, photographs, news articles, etc. On 29 January 2007, the package was sent to Guinness and the long wait began. Now, they wait no more. It’s official, the Ocean of Fire project is the current world record holder for most number of fire breathers in one location.

The certificate has been sent from Guinness and will be auspiciously posted on the website upon arrival.

Tedward

30 August 2007, at the Shiva Vista Project, shortly after dusk we will be gathering once more. A group in Denmark is gathering evidence to make a claim of 115 breathers, and we may have to defend our title, so, grab a partner and a fire breather and join us Thrusday night.

Please support NAFAA

TwansList Contest Winner Jennifer Mann Reviews the Richard Cheese Show

It’s True..! It’s True..! Dreams Do Come True!

Just ask the winners of the TwansList Comment Contest

This past Tuesday night March 20th 2007, the only two people to enter the TwansList Comment contest won free tickets to the Richard Cheese show at the Derby. The lucky winners were accompanied to the show by Twan and infamous underground radio and music legend Brother Matt. To all you lazy slugs that didn’t play the simple game, thank you for being apathetic sloth children…. The two winners could not have been more perfect. It could have been a nightmare to have been accompanied by jaded, uninterested do-nothings anyway! Thanx to your lack of participation, MY evening turned out quite wonderful!

The two winners were Jennifer Mann, makeup artist for the film industry, and DustyPlaya Warren, a friend of mine (that I don’t get to see enough of) that just happened to play the game… See how easy that was: Two tickets, two players, two winners…. too much fun!

The four of us met at the Derby and proceeded to have nothing but fun. Laughed our butts off. Great conversations. Even almost got into a silly parking lot fight (uh…that would be me… hey, the guy was a dick… and I was slightly drunk, and not a very good drunk at that!).

Richard Cheese packed the house, and crooned the house to its knees. One of a kind. After the show was over, Warren invited us up to his beautiful new pad in the Hollywood Hills to continue the merriment and excellent conversation deep into the wee hours. Thank you for your kind hospitality, Warren! And thank you both for participating. You made it a night to remember!

Richard Cheese Lounge Against the Machine

Richard Cheese Review

by Jennifer Mann

” I got to see Richard Cheese on Tuesday at the world famous Derby in Los Feliz. I won this adventure by being the only person who entered it aside from one of Twan’s friends. How lucky was that?! We had a cheesy good time.

Most people have never heard of Richard Cheese, but they should. He is the Master of Lounge. He croons like the best of them. Dean Martin would be proud. Sammy Davis would have joined in with gusto. His shtick is taking the most unlikely of popular songs and converting them to lounge.

We were lucky this Tuesday because Richard Cheese was at his cheesiest. He was filming this show, so he was singing everything ??? Pussy, Another Brick in the Wall, the theme to Three???s Company, the Clorox Bleach jingle, and many, many more. He sauntered on stage in a tuxedo and of course he had a martini glass in hand. His suave and debonair ways transformed the Derby into a twisted lounge.

You haven???t lived until you???ve heard Richard Cheese cover Me So Horny, and Insane in the Brain. I think everyone reading this should go to his web site and check out his music. Richardcheese.com will tell you everything about the man, his band, and of course ??? how to buy his cd???s. You can also find Richard Cheese on youtube.com. Watching an extremely white, chubby, middle aged man croon anything by Snoop Doggy Dog is something everyone should experience at least once in life.

We all had a fabulous evening.”

Jennifer Mann

I hope to have more giveaways in the near future. Try and play along.

Until next time…

Twan

Harvest Rhythm Benefit

HARVEST RHYTHM

Harvest Rhythm

An epic party to benefit Common Vision’s Annual Fruit Tree Tour

FEATURING

DJ Glenn Red on the 1s & 2s

Late Night Open Freestyle Jam hosted by JB Verse and Liz Guilliams
featuring some of L.A.’s finest wordsmiths

Live Art by Mike Biagiotti

Bodypaint by Knemesis

Fabulous Spectacle by Aris, Raven and Sno

• Saturday March 10 at the EpoxyBox
  • (SE corner of Abbott Kinney and Venice Blvd.)

8 pm!

Mar 9, 2007
Twan

Lightning in a Bottle – A 3 Day Green Music Festival in the Woods

Lighting in a Bottle 2007

Lightning in a Bottle 2007

Santa Barbara
A Green Music Festival
May 11, 12, 13, 2007

The artists’ collective that brought The Flower to Burning Man is setting out to create a new spring festival…

It’s been many months since our last Lightning in a Bottle adventure and all of us here at The Do LaB have been working harder than ever to put together another spectacular creation for 2007. We are striving to go even BIGGER with the creative visions most central to the LIB experience, including a larger green energy and sustainability effort, eclectic and edgy new live performances, top-notch music in many genres, stunning art installations, new workshops, and more!

With artists, performers, creators, and attendees from across the country and increasingly across the globe, the community and the energy created when LIGHTNING strikes is the true focus, and the true cause for celebration at Lightning in a Bottle. We hope that you can join us with your own unique spark!

Check out the LIB 2007 Line-Up!

• Lucent Dossier Vaudeville Cirque
  • Bassnectar
  • Heavyweight Dub Champion
  • The Lawgiverz
  • Vau de Vire Society
  • March Fourth Marching Band
  • Bluetech (Aleph Zero, Native State)
  • Ganga Giri
  • El Circo (dome, sound and performance)
  • Oscure (LABA)
  • Kid Beyond
  • David Starfire (Space Island)
  • Gamelan X
  • The Glitch Mob: Ooah ~ Edit ~ Boreta ~ Kitty D ~ Ana Sia
  • Rena Jones (Native State Records)
  • El Papa Chango (El Circo)
  • Helios Jive (The Do LaB)
  • Random Rab (El Circo)
  • BLVD
  • Soul Eye
  • Rara Avis (six degrees)
  • Solovox
  • Porter Tinsley
  • Goddess Alchemy Project
  • Bounce Reflex: Abai ~ Albert Joseph ~ Wazulu the ill Dravidian ~ Geno Cochino
  • Jupiter (The Do LaB)
  • Jesse Wright (Pocket)
  • Novatron- LIve (Space Island/SEA)
  • Sammy Bliss (Pocket)
  • The Seedling Escape
  • Saynt (Ninja Skillz)

…more artists, familiar and new, will be added to the lineup in the coming months.
Stay tuned for more amazing entertainment to come, including art, workshops, vending, food and more..

We’ll see you in the woods!
The Do LaB

***The Flower project at Burning Man is a collaboration between Patrick Shearn, The Do LaB and Abundant Sugar***

Pages:«1...56789101112»
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Playa Dust Web Ring Playa Dust Web Ring

PLAYA DUST WEB RING
prev | next | random | list
join the ring

Categories